Sales executive: Recycled Polymers UK
Be part of something special. Join Vanden.
Since we started on our journey, back in 2005, we’ve developed a worldwide presence, serving hundreds of customers in over 50 countries. And we’ve grown a strong, capable team of colleagues who are dedicated and loyal.
We are headquartered in Hong Kong with operations and representation in Australia, Finland, Ireland, Turkey, Spain, Netherlands & UK. We operate a factory based in the UK specialising in the collection and recycling of plastic waste generated from industry and manufacturing.
Our ideal candidate
Goal-orientated, not afraid to get their hands dirty and love to close deals constantly. They turn challenges into opportunities and quickly solve problems. When things are tough, take perspective, step back and remain objective to ensure the desired outcome is achieved. In this way, we stay flexible, seek to pinpoint what really matters and find workable actions, quickly. Our people are eager to stay up-to-date by reading, attending training and take ownership of personal development.
Living the Vanden Values is a key part of our culture. Our Values were created by the people in the business. Over a 6-month period in early 2018 we brought all our teams together to determine what it meant to be part of Vanden. Through a combination of telling stories of colleagues in action and establishing the type of environment we want to create, our 6x core values were born!
These are an important part of understanding if Vanden is right for you! Please take a look on the last page for a full description.
To apply, you are required to produce a CV and Personal Statement. These need to be tailored to the job description and person specification and show how you reflect the technical and behavioural requirements. Applications can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection process:
Successful candidates will be invited to attend a multi-phase assessment that includes:
Step 1: Interview 1
Step 2: Interview 2
Step 3: Interview 3
Step 4: Reference Checks
Expected timeline to complete is 3-4 weeks depending on candidate and reference availability.
Your role will be to generate sales for recycled plastic resins (rLDPE, rPET, rPP, rHDPE) to plastic manufacturers and converters in the UK.
You will be tasked with building relationships and deal making on both spot trade (sometimes under tight deadlines) and long-term opportunities. Developing a diverse range of customers who use recycled plastics in different applications to ensure we have reliable trade routes, in all market conditions, for all available materials.
Working closely with local and global teams, communicating with colleagues across the world every day, a highly collaborative and entrepreneurial mindset are key to being a top performer.
Developing a solid understanding of the technical side of plastic processing is a key requirement as you must use a consultative approach with customers to help integrate recycled content into their products.
The role requires you to take complete ownership of business development from research and prospecting all the way through to negotiation of terms. Success is achieved through a disciplined and consistent approach to building relationships, utilising the CRM and hunting for your own leads to keep a full pipeline of opportunities.
Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-moving environment, react quickly to changing priorities, be able to follow internal processes and proactively manage risk across different business cultures.
An excellent communicator, you will demonstrate an optimistic and persistent approach, always open to giving and receiving feedback on performance. Not willing to settle for second best, challenges are seen as an opportunity to learn.
This role is suited to an A-Player who is motivated, goal driven and wants to be part of a Values driven organisation in a growth industry.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Business Development & Delivery:
- Execute sales for recycled products (Resins) sourced from our local & global locations
- Research all end market applications for our available materials and have a clear understanding of the technical requirements for each
- Identify all prospective customers within each application for our available materials, understand their needs and move towards sale. Keeping the pipeline full at all times.
- Consistently close deals with customers across a variety of applications to ensure consistent sale of a wide range of qualities and in all market conditions
- Actively seek out new sales opportunities and conduct market research, cold calling, networking, social media lead generation, attending conferences and trade fairs.
- Maximise margin by using effective negotiation techniques
- Able to challenge customer views and counter objections to move towards closing a deal
- Actively engage with the greater team to develop skills and share knowledge
- Gather feedback from customers and prospects and share with internal teams
- Perform customer site visits to build relationships and discover market information
- Develop and enhance relationships by being creative, innovative and offering excellent customer service that is responsive and tailored to customer needs
- Engage in constant and active risk management, to ensure the company is not overexposed to a particular client, material or market
Reporting & Management:
- Keep detailed logs in CRM of all activities constantly
- Maintain accurate records of customer information in CRM, including material requirements
- Provide feedback & market reports to Management
- Use knowledge of competitors and market to develop Vanden’s unique selling propositions
- Consult with management to share business trends with a view to further extend market penetration and services
- Develop a thorough understanding of the nature of the business by analyzing previous sales data and publicly available information
- Develop a thorough understanding of Vanden’s people and capabilities
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of your clients’ business e.g. their customers, supply chain, production process and finished products
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- 3+ years’ proven successful commodity sales experience and 5+ years of sales experience in general.
- Experience of building a client base from scratch or introducing a new product to market
- Successful track record in consultative selling
- Experience in a European or Global business an advantage
Skills & Abilities:
- Able to stand back and review data/information to see the ‘big picture’
- Able to use logic and reasoning to appraise situations
- Able to anticipate opportunities and risks
- Able to build rapport quickly with colleagues and customers
- Able to negotiate effectively with customers to maximise margins
- Able to effectively collaborate with colleagues to achieve results
- Able to manage and respond quickly to changing/competing priorities
- Highly organized, able to independently plan own time e.g. Outlook calendars and reminders
- Able to follow internal procedure & policy (CRM, Admin, Trial Policies, Customer Onboarding)
- Able to present and clearly communicate information in speaking and writing
- Able to ensure tasks are completed on time and to a high-standard
- Able to use Excel, Outlook, Word and other MS Office products
- Able to undertake effective research
- Our Non-Negotiables: Action oriented, builds strong relationships, curious, driven to learn, empathetic, investigative, reflective, resilient, resourceful, seeks feedback, trustworthy
- Willing to take complete ownership of the role and drive success. Relentless.
- Grit and determination
- Skilled deal maker and negotiator
- Persuasive with a ‘can do’ attitude, mindful of customer needs (also knows when to say “No”)
- Focuses on facts and evidence over ‘story’
- Not afraid to have challenging conversations
- Professional and ethical in their approach
- Understands that upfront effort prevents issues down the line
- Committed to on-going personal and professional development
- Values team above self
MISSION & VISION
- Build the world’s largest recycled plastics commodities company
- To be the company that creates the most value from plastic waste. Producing quality commodities and products or empowering others to do so.
- We pull together as one unit, not just with those in front of us, but with all of our colleagues spanning multiple continents and cultures. We seek honesty and excellence to bring out the best in each other and do so without ego. Our collective knowledge and willingness to question is our superpower.
- In absolutely everything we do. We add value to our people, customers and product through constant education and optimisation. Vanden exceeds expectations in the Service of our customers, using each encounter as an opportunity to sharpen our skills and add more value than anyone else. When in doubt, we ask ourselves – “Am I adding value?”
- Challenge ourselves and each other to learn new things and improve our skills. Be curious and industrious to redefine the boundaries of our knowledge, service and market. We’re proud of our battle scars as our failures will always be the greatest opportunity for growth.
- Never afraid to get our hands dirty! We take pride in exercising absolute ownership over the outcome of every task or challenge. We appreciate the power of forming a plan before taking action and jump at the opportunity to take the bull by the horns when we do.
Enjoy The Ride
- It only happens once! We can’t always be serious and limit ourselves to be ‘business as usual’, so we encourage everyone to put their personalities into everything they do.
- Live everyday with an attitude of gratitude!